Thursday, March 5, 2009

Assemblage


I love the ideas submitted for the name of my antique portraits. Haven't decided on one yet, still walking around saying them out loud to hear what feels and sounds good. anything in French in high on the list, by the way.
What a pleasure it was for me to meet with friends Kate and Jeanie (themarmeladegypsy.blogspot.com) last night to talk about shrine-making and assemblages. It seems as though I've worked nonstop on photography since going to Burma in 2006. Using real scissors, hearing papers rattle and knowing that the smell of gel medium is not far behind was a thrill for me.

I've made shrines of one sort or another all of my life. I grew up Catholic, after all. But now, whether a shrine honors a deceased loved one, a Hindu goddess, our precious earth or a piece of chocolate makes no difference to me. The best ones are rarely in a church or temple, but on the side of the road, a niche in a tree, above the kitchen sink, hanging on a wall or sitting on a nightstand. They are unique and wonderful and infused with the personality of its creator.

Michael deMeng's name came up. How could it not? He is the assemblage king (www.michaeldemeng.com) and the inspiration for countless other assemblage and shrine makers around the country. Around the world, even, since he's spreading the word - and the gesso - in Italy, Australia and Bali. I think of assemblages as shrines with all of it's components glued together. Here is a photo of one of the assemblages I made while attending his workshop in Italy in 2007. In 2009, Michael and I taught workshops in Tuscany during the same week through Arcangelo Productions. My group was out and about taking photographs in Florence, Orvieto and Cortona, which wasn't too shabby. But part of me wanted to hang out in Michael's classroom and see what was rising from the fingers and hearts of the participants. It's all so delicious.



1 comment:

  1. Some ideas for the titles:

    Trésors de temps
    (treasures of time)

    Le passage du temps
    (The passage of time)

    Le Passe Simple
    (The simple master key) - there's supposed to be an accent mark ovver the e in Passe.

    Les vestiges du temps
    (The remnants of time past)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! It's always good to hear what you have to say.