Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Madrid, pronounced MADrid



About fifteen miles south of Santa Fe on Highway 14 is the small artful town of Madrid, pronounced MADrid. It was a mining town for the first half of the twentieth century until 1954 when the mines closed. It was a ghost town for about twenty years, then resurrected as an art community. It's quite the tourist destination now, but few venture beyond the shops and galleries on the main street.

My friend Kris and I drove there today and stopped by a gallery to see a friend. I remembered that he had directed me to the cemetery on the mesa last year but it was scorching hot that day and at high noon the heat and shadows rendered it impossible to shoot. Today was overcast and pleasant so he drew a map and off we went. It's not easy to find.

Part of the cemetery consists of individualized monuments of scrap metal, furniture and personal effects. Apparently the characters in Madrid retain their character even in death.











It wasn't clear which magazines were on "Little Mike's" grave near his shoes. They had been rained on and were faded from the sun. I loved that two pages were flapping in the wind.
The following close-up reminds me of an abstract painting.

2 comments:

  1. This is my kind of cemetery -- truly reflective of the souls who inhabit it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I knew about this place when I lived in Albuquerque, I would have certainly enjoyed it. What an interesting place. Thanks for taking us there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! It's always good to hear what you have to say.