Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Getting close, really close

Many years ago, I spent much of my time making portraits, getting close enough to spot flaws and wrinkles and so-called "imperfections." Clearly my doll portraits are an extension of that. But the dolls, sweet as they are (yes, even the "scary" looking ones seem sweet to me) do not respond, react to a joke, blink, laugh, turn away or reflect. Are the dolls my segue to a return to portraiture?

Many of those photographs were taken with Tri-X film and have yet to be digitized. But today I dug up three that I like.

Here is my Dad. He was a kind man with integrity, dignity and a sense of humor. He was always willing to pose for me and for that I am eternally grateful.



Here is Anja, our exchange student (2000-2001) from Switzerland. She hated this photo but I love it's honesty. And honesty is the point of a photograph in the first place as far as I'm concerned.



And here is a woman I met in Santa Fe, taken with my digital camera. I love that her jewelry lines up with her eyes (which are also jewels...)


4 comments:

  1. That photo of your dad was, and remains, a classic portrait. You can really see the twinkle in his eyes, to go with that subtle grin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like looking at people with interesting facial features...wrinkels and all. I love the photo of your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo of your dad is so very moving. He earned those lines, and oh! Those eyes! These are all stunning, but then I've always been a fan of your b/w portraits. These are incredibly moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the best photo of our dad! His wrinkles tell a story. I had so much respect for him, I would never argue with his point, even if I disagreed. I just listened and learned. Joey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! It's always good to hear what you have to say.